28 Jan 2013

BARN OWL

Hunting Owl
Pencil 2.5" x 2.5"

I saw something wonderful last week.  I was driving down the lane to my studio at about 4.30pm, going slowly because of the snow, and to the right of me, only three yards away and at my head height, a barn owl was hunting the ditch and the rough field next to the road.  I stopped, I must have been there five or six minutes watching it's flight.  I'm often lucky enough to see owls near my studio and I've  had a lot of opportunities to take photographs, but I've never been so close to a hunting owl, I could see every detail.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, but if I had I think I would have been too mesmerised by it's lovely soft flight to take photographs. It dipped down a time or two but didn't reappear with anything and eventually flew west to the next field on it's teatime hunt.






2 comments:

  1. What a lovely experience - they are quite magical to watch, particularly when out quartering. Beautiful drawing - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jennifer. They are certainly one of my favourite subjects, both to watch and to draw.

    ReplyDelete